Scenic Valley Handweavers
of Southeast Tennessee
Effective: February 15, 2020
Effective: February 15, 2020
To create and promote opportunities to educate, share and stimulate interest and appreciation in handweaving among group members as well as the community.
This organization shall be known as the Scenic Valley Handweavers (hereinafter referred to as “SVH”).
1. Membership is open to all those wishing to become actively involved in SVH’s activities and pay annual dues.
2. Members will be given priority in workshops, field trips and other special events.
3. Members in “good standing” (dues are current) are eligible to vote in all elections and decisions requiring a vote.
1. Dues are set by a vote of the membership.
2. Dues shall be payable at the October meeting each year. A member’s name shall be dropped from the membership if their dues are not paid by the first meeting of the next year.
3. New members joining on or after the July meeting shall pay 1/2 of the annual dues amount.
IV. Officers and the Board
The officers of SVH shall consist of: President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer. These officer positions may be changed and/or added to with a 2/3 vote of the membership. These officers and any committee chairs appointed shall be considered the “Board.”
V. Duties of the Officers
1. President: shall preside at all meetings, appoint committees as needed and perform other acts incident to the office. The President shall also work with the Vice President in planning programs.
2. Vice President: shall preside at meetings in the absence of the President and work with the Board in planning programs. The Vice President will also keep the SVH blogspot current if a social media chair is not appointed.
3. Secretary: shall take roll of the members present and keep minutes of all SVH meetings as well as Board meetings and send via email these minutes to the social media chair for posting on the SVH blogspot in a timely manner.
4. Treasurer: will collect and record all monies paid by the membership and give a financial report at all SVH meetings. All bills not in the approved annual budget must be approved by the majority of the membership present. The Treasurer must submit a proposed budget each November for the following year to be approved by 2/3 of the membership present.
Page 1 of 2
VI. Election and Terms of Officers
The nominating committee shall be appointed by the President in August annually who shall present a slate of officers at the October meeting (nominations may also be made from the floor at this meeting). Following the nominations presented, elections will take place with a majority vote of the members present (or by email or proxy) deciding a position or positions. A revote will be taken in case of a tie by the members present. Officers elected will take office January 1st of the following year and shall serve for one year. They may be re-elected for successive terms.
VII. Officer Vacancies
Vacancies in any office, except the President, may be appointed by the board until the next election. A vacancy in the office of President shall be filled by the Vice President until the next election. On the inability of the Vice President to serve, the board will appoint an acting President to finish the unexpired term.
1. The meetings of SVH, unless otherwise indicated, shall be on the third Saturday of each month.
2. The fiscal year shall be January 1 through December 31.
3. Nomination and election of officers shall be held at the October meeting.
4. Board meetings are held at the discretion of the President.
The President shall appoint committees as needed.
1. Voting shall be decided by a 2/3 vote of members present.
2. These By-Laws may be amended by a 2/3 vote of members present, provided the proposed amendment has been made available a month earlier to the membership.
3. If a member is not present for a vote, an email or written proxy may be submitted.
XI. Protection of Personal Information
SVH will take measures to protect members’ e-mail addresses and other personal information. Members may not distribute other member information without specific permission from the individual.
Membership in SVH implies approval and acceptance of these By-Laws.
These By-Laws were initially approved and accepted by a 2/3 vote of SVH members on this 16th day of February, 2013.
Page 2 of 2